The Chinese Tower in the Donaustauf castle gardens is an interesting relic from the time of the princes of Thurn and Taxis at the beginning of the 19th century.
The Donaustauf Castle burned down completely during the great market fire in 1880 – the wooden construction of the tower in the east of the Prince’s Garden, however, remained intact. In 1899, the princely family Thurn and Taxis took the tower to Prüfening Castle, which they had bought as a summer residence.
The tower was completely restored after the formation of the Förderverein Chinesischer Turm e. V. [Chinese Tower Association]. The Chinese Tower was inaugurated in the Prince’s Garden on 17th September 1999 and has been visited and admired since then.